Groen Sebenza Fire Risk Reduction Internship
Groen Sebenza is a capacity building program funded by the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF), aimed at developing priority skills in the Natural Resource Management (NRM) sector to help create sustainable employment and business opportunities for the sector. Groen (in Afrikaans meaning green) Sebenza (meaning work in isiZulu) brings young South Africans from previously disadvantaged backgrounds together with experienced natural resource management experts to learn, grow and eventually gain the competence and confidence to embark on rewarding and meaningful natural resources management or related careers
Purpose of the Position:
Landowners and landusers need to be better informed about the effects of climate change on fire risk, the necessity of managing fire with fire, an awareness of the positive benefits of prescribed burning, the negative impact of unwanted fires on the environment and the impact that invasive alien plants (IAPs) have on fire risk. This mindfulness can result in more resilient communities and ecosystems and a reduction in asset losses and the cost of fighting wildfires. The intern will work with the Eastern Cape Umbrella Fire Protection Association (ECUFPA) in order to raise awareness levels of fire risk reduction with landowners and landusers.
- Must be a South African citizen
- Possess a valid, South African Code 08 driver’s license
- Must provide own housing
- Must be fluent in English and Afrikaans or Xhosa (Written and spoken)
- Must be competent in Microsoft Office suite
- Matric exemption
- Knowledge of Integrated Fire Management
- A tertiary qualification, preferably in science, conservation or forestry management
- Be familiar with the National Veld and Forest Fire Act 101 of 1998 (NV&FFA)
- Experience in fire fighting operations
- Own transport
- The knowledge of GIS database management will be advantageous
- To support Fire Protection Associations (FPA) with aspects of Integrated Fire Management (IFM), specifically risk reduction.
- To assist in rolling out an awareness campaign in each FPA area.
- To work with a mentor and monitor and evaluate efficacy of advocacy.
- To work with a mentor to identify opportunities for self-development and identify additional training needs
- Write quarterly feedback reports for NRM on internship progression
Candidates must be under 35 years of age and currently unemployed. The intern will be expected to travel, if required, to attend any training courses as identified by the FPA and the mentor.
The intern will be based with the ECUFPA in Stutterheim.
Closing Date: 19 March 2021 at 10:00
Planned Starting Date: ASAP
Please forward a covering letter, a CV (max 3 pages) with 3 credible and contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org
For a detailed pdf version, please click here to download the document.
Appointment will be subject to a compulsory three month probationary period. The appointment is for one year, with the potential of a year to year extension depending on performance and funding. The stipend is set by the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries. This project is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. Preference will be given to HDI candidates and females. If you have not heard from us within 21 working days after the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful. The ECUFPA reserves the right not to make an appointment.